CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mama, Mommy, Mom, Nana



Of all the titles I have held in this life of mine these are by far my most favorite and the ones I would not trade for anything.

I still remember the moment I heard the doctor say, "she's a girl and she has your dimples!" Once I got over the shock it was a girl...see I was sure I was having a boy...it was all I could do to wait for them to let me see her. Wow was she a beauty, big eyes, wonderful smile and just as cute as a button. Since I delivered her by emergency c-section they whisked her away to soon and finished their work on me. It was a little while before I got to hold her, but once she was in my arms I knew that I would do anything to protect her and that I loved her more than life. She was a wonderful baby, a great kid, a pretty good teenager and has blossomed into a beautiful young woman and mother. Wow did I hit the mother-load when God blessed me with my cuddly little girl. I would have loved to have had more children, but that just wasn't in God's plan and I was okay with that since I knew God was the master of my life.

Now as my little one grew up she held a very special place in my mom and dad's life. They helped me raise her and showered her with more than I thought possible. There wasn't anything they wouldn't do for her and they spoiled her. I would find myself saying to them, "you never did that for us kids," and they would reply, "just wait until you have grandchildren." Of course, I didn't understand, but I would.

A little over five years ago my daughter announced she was pregnant. I was so excited...I was going to be a grandmother! Now before you ask, no I was not at all upset about this change in my life. I embraced it and when people would tease me about becoming a grandmother they were surprised to find out it didn't bother me at all...I was ready! So as the time grew nearer I moved my daughter and son-in-law in with me and we waited. I threw her a shower and her friends threw her a shower, but the best was when she threw me a shower. Somehow this little blue eyed girl has grown into the most incredible woman who wanted me to feel the specialness of becoming a grandmother or nana as Benjamin calls me. My friends gathered around me and showered me with the things I would need to begin this new journey of my life.

Well the day finally came and I stood by the side of my daughter and son-in-law Ben as we welcomed Benjamin into this our lives. I was honored when my daughter asked me to be there for the labor and delivery and it was the greatest experience to participate in and witness. To see my daughter go through what I went through was a very bonding experience and then to lay my eyes on this little guy who stole my heart at that very moment.


This little man has open my eyes to a whole new world and teaches me more about love than I thought I could every know. He looks at me with his big blue eyes (just like his mom's) and I melt. I wish my mom was still alive because she would have a wonderful time saying, "I told you so!" And she was right, there is nothing that can explain the feelings and relationship of a nana to her boo (a grandmother to her grandchild) and I think my friends, Joyce, Judy, Sylvia, Lori and Mary would completely agree with me. I love being a mom and I love being a nana!

As Benjamin drove off last with his mom I could hear him saying, "you are the best nana in the world!" My response was, "you are the best boo in the world." Thank you, God, for the two greatest gifts I could ever have hoped for!!!!!

1 comments:

Monique said...

sniffle...sniffle...That was great!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!